Fluoride Treatment in Lake Mary, FL
Using Fluoride to Protect Your Teeth
You brush your teeth twice a day, floss regularly and visit the dentist every six months, but did you know that rinsing with fluoride — a mineral that helps prevent cavities and tooth decay — also helps keep your teeth healthy and strong?
Fluoride is effective in preventing cavities and tooth decay by coating your teeth and preventing plaque from building up and hardening on the tooth’s surface.
Fluoride comes in two varieties, systemic and topical:
- Systemic fluoride is ingested, usually through a public water supply. While teeth are forming under the gums, the fluoride strengthens tooth enamel, making it stronger and more resistant to cavities.
- Fluoride can also be applied topically to help prevent caries (cavities) on teeth present in the mouth. It is delivered through toothpaste, mouthwash, and professional fluoride applications.
Updated research has proven that fluoride treatments are beneficial for adults as well as children. As it assists in preventing cavities, it can also re-mineralize decalcified enamel ( the start of decay). Fluoride can help with relieving hypersensitive teeth as well. We provide fluoride treatments in a number of ways:
- Fluoride Varnish: In-office treatment, applied in seconds and brushed onto teeth, so the patient can eat and drink after but no hard or sticky foods or alcohol for four hours after treatment.
- Fluoride Foam: In-office treatment, applied by tray for three minutes, and the patient cannot eat or drink for thirty minutes after treatment.
- Clinpro 5000™: Prescription-strength fluoride at home use. Brush on a pea-size amount at night before bed, and do not rinse out with water.
How to choose the right fluoride treatment
When choosing your own at-home fluoride product (such as toothpaste or mouthwash), always check for the American Dental Association’s (ADA) seal of acceptance. Products marked with the ADA seal of approval have been carefully examined by the ADA, and approved based on safety and effectiveness. Take care of your teeth and smile bright with dental fluoride treatments!